Monday, May 2, 2011

Childbirth- In My Life & Around the World

I had my first child when I was 19 years old.  I was young, unmarried, scared and completely unprepared for the journey ahead of both myself and my son.  The event itself was scary and uncomfortable.  I did not prepare with Lamaze classes, I opted for an epidural, and I had both of my equally frightened parents by my hospital bedside.  The very "medical process" took 14 hours and was mentally and physically exhausting.  The beginning of my son's life was an adventure that I have learned so much from.  He was 5 weeks early and would prove to have a delicate immune system, but luckily he was fully physically developed. Birth has an amazing impact on child development, my son is a testimate to that.  After the initial birthing process, I immediately took parenting classes and continually advocated for his health and well being.  He remained a "sickly" child for the first five years of his life, in and out of the doctor/hospital.  He is highly allergic to most major medicines and environmental agents.  My daughter's birth, seven years later, was completely different.  Her labor lasted 4 hours, my husband and myself were completely prepared and actually enjoyed the process.  Her early childhood journey has also been strikingly different than that of my son's. 


I chose to investigate the common birthing process in the country of Japan.  
In Japan it's widely accepted that pregnant women can eat certain foods like raw fish, weight gain is generally less for mothers, it is customary for mothers to stay six days at the hospital (one day for labor and five days for recovery), and the post-delivery recovery period in the hospital is like boot camp for new moms, preparing them for life outside the hospital. 

I wish I had received more post-delivery assistance, education, and support.  I stayed only two days in the hospital and felt "rushed" out and unprepared.  I struggled with postpartum depression and issues of feeling unworthy as a mother.  I feel that there is not an effective system in the US to help young/new mothers.
 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your story! I am impressed with the strength and resiliency that you display. I imagine that you set a good example for your children. I also find it ironic how little attention and importance that the US puts on childbirth and care after the baby arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your story. I can relate because my second child wanted out way to early, but we manged to slow her down until it was safer for her. I would have loved a few extra days in the hospital afterwards, but not the bootcamp part of it.(lol) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have four children and with the oldest I stayed in the hospital five days with lots of instruction and help from the nurses. With the second I had a very difficult delivery but was only in the hospital two days. And it was much the same for my daughter but with my youngest I was there two days and he was there three. He was jaundice so had to be under the light for 24 hours and then went home.
    Having a child is a wonder of wonders and the scarest thing possible. Lots of it depends on a support system in the hospital and what to look forward to when you go home.
    These stories are just too interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I am glad everthing turn out good for you. I read some of the same things about japan.

    ReplyDelete