Sunday, October 9, 2011

Getting to Know Your International Contacts—Part 2


Issues related to excellence and equity in the early childhood field make for a rich pool of conversation topics.   Take the opportunity this week to learn from your international contacts which issues related to excellence and equity are at the forefront of professional discussions in their countries:

My international contact from Canada has communicated with me on the inequities in her country regarding early childhood.  They are very similar to those of our own country.  There is always a social economic status divide in programs with young children.  Some insights I have learned are the way the government tries to regulate this divide with teacher education regulations.  This connects directly to the inequity I researched for the Application this week.  By creating standards for teacher education, the children benefit regardless of the demographics.

  • Share the new insights and information you have gained from these conversations
  • Describe in particular the additional information about issues of equity and excellence you acquired from your international sources

3 comments:

  1. Amy,
    It’s unfortunate that Canada has the same inequities we do. Although, many of these inequities are found all over the world. I also researched the inequity of teacher qualifications and education this week. I read that fewer than half preschool teachers have any college education. It’s amazing that so few teachers have any college education or even a CDA. I wonder if the statistics are the same in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darcey,
    My over 40 eyes are having trouble reading your information. May I suggest another color for the print? Your information is too important to ignore because of readability.
    humbly
    jayme

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy,
    I was surprised when I read that few ECE teachers are so unqualified. I know that in the last center I worked the qualifications were not ranking in the high quality but the one I work at now has less qualifications requirements. So sad!!

    ReplyDelete