Friday, December 23, 2011

When I Think of Research...

Week 8 Blog Assignment

As we conclude our studies of research, take time to reflect on the experience:
  • What insights have you gained about research from taking this course?
  • In what ways have your ideas about the nature of doing research changed?
  • What lessons about planning, designing, and conducting research in early childhood did you learn?
  • What were some of the challenges you encountered—and in what ways did you meet them?
  • What are some of the ways your perceptions of an early childhood professional have been modified as a result of this course?
This has been an intense course designed to increase our ability to use research as a tool, to examine the articles based on specific criteria, understand ethical issues in early childhood research, become a designer of research, understand quantitative and qualitative data collection methods, we learned how to mixed methodologies to better serve our research designs, and finally how to move beyond equity to find justice and fairness in research.  
The nature of doing research is intense and very rewarding.  I have learned how to categorize data and make sense of it all through examining summaries and relevant information.
When planning, designing, and conducting research in early childhood, it is necessary to consider biases and be ethical in all decisions for conception to conclusion.  This will affect the data and research study on so many levels.
A challenge I encountered throughout this process is determining which triangulation to use to determine validity in my simulation.  In was attracted to theory triangulation due to its multiple perspectives to interpret a single set of data, however I eventually decided on utilizing data triangulation for my study.  For my study, I would be collected mutilple  sources of data through direct observations, surveys, interviews and interactions, so this triangulation eventually won over (with the guidance of Dr. Terry).
My perceptions of early childhood professionals have been modified as a result of this course.  I respect anyone who dives into research for the betterment of young children.  The process is daunting, but so rewarding.  

Thank you to all of my colleagues for your guidance, support, and encouragement throughout this intense course!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Amy,

    This has been a class of an abundants of knowledge. We should all write great research papers. I have truly enjoyed our discussion. I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Wonderful New Year. I hope to see you in our next class.

    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,

    I agree that the process of developing a research simulation is daunting. This course was, by far, my most challenging since beginning my Master's at Walden. However, it has been rewarding to gain a better understanding of this aspect of our field.

    Thank you for all of your insights throughout this course. I wish you the best of luck and hope you have a healthy, happy holiday season!

    Raina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy,
    Awesome post...and I have grown immensely these past eight weeks as well, especiallly in the area you stated, "When planning, designing, and conducting research in early childhood, it is necessary to consider biases and be ethical in all decisions for conception to conclusion."

    Remembering to be considerate of biases and ethics in research is something I will carry with me for the rest of my professional career and life.

    My prayers are for your continued success throughout your studies and your professional career!

    CCWhite

    ReplyDelete