Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Blog Assignment: Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions


At the beginning of this week we were asked to observe our own and other people’s verbal interactions and detect examples of microaggression. In this Blog Assignment, I will share what I experienced and what I learned from my observations.

Assignment:
  • Describe at least one example of a microaggression which you detected this week or remember from another time. In what context did the microaggression happen? What did you think and feel when you observed the microaggression or when you found yourself as the target of a microaggression?
This week, I was in the grocery store picking up a few items when I over heard a white couple commenting that it must be food stamp distribution day and how glad they were that people are able to purchase food to live one.  As I looked around, I noticed a black family of 3 children in line that appeared to be a lower socioeconomic class in dress, but as I observed, the mother paid with cash.  She did not respond to the comment but her body language showed disgust and anger.  I feel that whether or not the white couple intended harm is irrelevant, it was in fact very hurtful on a psychological level.  This interaction angered me as well.  I did not speak up, but left the store feeling sad that our society is so oblivious to racial insults and microaggressions. 
  

  • In what ways did your observation experiences this week affect your perception of the effects of discrimination, prejudice, and/or stereotypes on people.
I have discovered that I am more observant of discrimination and microaggressions now that i have explored, researched, and learned about not only this type of harmful behavior, but its powerful affects on others.  I can own that I have most certainly been both a contributor and victim of this behavior. I feel that when the insult is unintended, it is most powerful.  Racism (all "isms") exist today on some level.  We are subconsciously carrying on emotions of hate, fear, and nonacceptance.   Once we realize this, we can begin to curve our behaviors and help others learn from mistakes tool. 

5 comments:

  1. Amy,

    That must have been very embarrassing for the black mother especially in front of her children, but hopefully she and her family regarded the comment as not being meant towards them. Although playing off a comment doesn't mean the words do not hurt. It was not only a microinsult, but also a microassult.

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy:

    I read the book, Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt, years ago. He talked about the difficulty and judgment of others for being 'on the dole.' Even when a family is not receiving assistance, there are stereotypes on who is using it based on race, physical characteristics, and others. There is a saying that many of us are one paycheck away from such situations. Maybe if we thought about that we would realize that there is not one specific type of person who could be using food assistance programs.

    It also reminds me of a short time when I was a child that we were eligible for food stamps. My father is an auto industry retiree. When there is a union strike, employees are not eligible for the same benefits or supports as if they are laid off. As the strike went on, my parents had to apply and receive food stamps to pay for groceries. This was extremely difficult for them considering how they were raised. The expectation was you did what ever you had to do (legally of course) to support your family. This meant you may work multiple jobs. My mother hated having to take them out at the store.

    Your story also shows how the dominant group's expression of appreciation or sympathy sends a message of superiority. It sounds as if a compliment is being offered but it is actually an insult (Laureate Education, Inc., 2011). It is why we have to reflect on the unintentional indignities of such micro-aggressions.

    LouAnn

    Laureate Education, Inc. (2011). Micro-aggression in everyday life. Perspectives on Diversity and Equity [DVD]. Baltimore, MD: Author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really affect others. To be honest with you there is a moment where we get us to it because I don't want to be every day explaining myself. Sometimes I just ignore questions just to forget about explanations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LouAnn I was thinking the same thing about the "one paycheck away...." Especially in this economic time, there is a "leveling" as many call it among those that need assistance. Some of the really heavy hit individuals use to make a 6 figure income. They have lost their homes, their retirement, used their children's savings and have moved in with their family just to ensure that they can put a roof over their heads and food on the table. The enrollment at Head Starts is dramatically showing this trend due to the automatic enrollment for children and family that are homeless or have been displaced. This includes families (regardless of what their W-2's state) just like I mentioned above. I sincerely hope that one of the many good things that may come from this economic disaster is that the next generation of children will be more sensitive and respectful of others, more self sufficient and more open to working together with those around them instead of constant competition. I know.....maybe a dream....but without dreams and hopes we have nothing...

    ReplyDelete