Sunday, October 21, 2012

Time Well Spent- A Farewell to Walden University

What have I learned from my journey to a Master's Degree through Walden University?



1.  I discovered that my extreme ability to be organized and a  multitasking professional has aided me in this amazing voyage.  Throughout this program, I have been a mother of two, devoted wife, and a daughter to disabled parents.  I have also been blessed to have had a promotion within my career from a classroom teacher to a center director and early childhood instructor at my local community college where I am able to use my passion for teaching adults in an amazing venue of academic learning.  I get to do what I love everyday, and my education has afforded me endless opportunities for professional growth.  Personally, I was able to prove to myself that amazingly large goals I set forth on myself can be attainable one piece at a time.  I am the first in my family with a Bachelor's degree, and now a Master's degree.  I have been able to demonstrate to my own children the importance of education and the power it can hold in your life.



2. Another deeply felt learning form this program is the necessity to utilize resources to accomplish a goal.  I am a very private, stubborn person.  I do not like to ask for help or place a burden on anyone for my benefit.  Throughout Walden, I have learned to utilize my colleagues as a source of knowledge, strength and guidance.  I have been involved in professional learning communities through both Walden and in my community, and have realized that reaching out to others is not a burden, but a way of uniting knowledge and passion to make a difference.



3.  Perhaps the most amazing thing I have gained from this program is finding my passion and commitment to the field.  Going into the early childhood field began as a necessity of a job almost 10 years ago.  I was a floater in a private child care center supporting over ten classrooms with breaks and as a substitute teacher when needed.  My interested was peaked and I began exploring working towards an Associate degree in Early Childhood Education.  This progression of education led to my obtaining a Bachelor's degree in the field and and becoming a noted early childhood educator in my community, landing a job at our local community college NAEYC accredited child development lab preschool and conducting workshops and trainings for the community where I found my passion as an adult educator.  I was now vested in the field, but wanted to go further to make a bigger difference.  When Walden entered my life, my commitment grew and now sky's the limit on what I can accomplish, on how I can make a difference in lives of young children, and how I can make a differnce to other young professionals.  

A link to my center's website:
http://www.johnstoncc.edu/childdevelopmentcenter.aspx 
 


When I consider my long term goals, they include becoming a very public and effective advocate for our field working with NAEYC to make a difference with other educators, politicians, lawmakers, stakeholders, and families. 



As this journey closes, I must thank all my instructors for their guidance, pushing, and support.  They have all modeled the type of adult educator I am striving to be.  To my colleagues, our friendships (both professional and personal) will last a lifetime, we are all forever changed, and I am better for it!  I have learned how to ask for help and that I can also be an amazing vehicle for encouragement to others.  My heart smiles as this academic journey comes to a close, and I know that my next journey of making positive social changes is just beginning!

9 comments:

  1. Dear Amy,

    I wish you the best in all that you do! It has been wonderful to learn from you and alongside you. Congratulations on your promotion and the amazing accomplishment of completing this program while working so hard in the field! Take care of yourself and I hope you continue to love what you do.

    Best,
    Raina

    PS- I LOVE your Wordle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,

    Thanks for writing out that you don't like to accept help from others normally because I am so that way as well. My mother always taught me never to owe anyone anything, and by asking for favors you are already in debt. So when it came time to ask for help from colleagues I was a little shaken. I have now, like you, been able to test the "help" waters and can safely say it really was a great experience! Good luck in your future endeavors!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Amy,
    I couldn't have said it better myself :) Thanks to you and the incredible input you have given to us all, we are all better than we were before we started. Prayers for great success are sent from me to you :) God bless you and your endeavors.
    Cymantha Channey-White

    P.S.
    I LOVE YOUR FAREWELL WORDLE :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Amy:

    I remember starting our first classes together almost two years ago. I have been so impressed with your discussion posts and blogs throughout our coursework. Each week I have looked forward to reading your contributions. It has been an pleasure to be in this program with you as well as an honor to finish it with you.

    Like you, I am a private person. I assumed I would move in and out of this program quietly. I did not realize the depth of the connections that would form, especially through an online program. I am happy to know you and I thank you for the impact on my professional and personal growth.

    Good luck with your future goals. I wish you much happiness in life.
    LouAnn Rhodes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy,

    Your blog post is an affirmation of your own growth and I think it aptly reflects how many of us are feeling as this chapter closes. You have pushed me to look to others as a source of strength and that has been invaluable.

    I have also been reflecting on the professional doors that are opening as a result of our work at Walden. I could not be more grateful for the experience or the relationships we have forged.

    My wish for you is that you achieve your dreams and have great success in our field!

    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy,

    I wish you well in your new position at work. Moving from teacher to center manager is a great achievement. It has been a learning experience following your blog. I wish you well in every endeavor you follow.

    Fawn Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy,

    What a wonderful job on your blog. It was such a blast learning with you throughout this course. I wish you the best of luck as you continue to work in the early childhood field.

    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved your Wordle! I am rather fond of these now and I have been posting them in my classroom! :) You have achieved something so wonderful! I wish you the best and good luck working in your community!

    Abby

    ReplyDelete