Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Blog Assignment: Research that Benefits Children and Families—Uplifting Stories

Research that Benefits Children and Families—Uplifting Stories 
Week 3 Blog Assignment
 
This quote by Uri Bronfenbrenner:  
“…the only safe way to avoid violating principles of professional ethics is to refrain from doing social research altogether.”



Assignment 1:Share a positive example of the effects of research on children and/or families: Perhaps you can provide real-life examples of research benefits to children and/or families; maybe you are familiar with stories of people who have been positively affected by research; or you came across a published research article concerning children or families which you find exciting and would like to share with your colleagues.

 I have a personal story to share.  I began my early childhood academic journey 10 years ago.  I gave birth to my daughter 4 years ago, she is my example of research for the benefit of the field and my professional and personal growth.  She has been in my preschool classroom for the past two years.  I have used her as an experiment while I was navigating my undergraduate studies and now throughout my graduate studies.  I have tried numerous activities out on her, observed, assessed and evaluated her to sharpen my own EC educator skills, I have reflected on my own personal and professional ethics because she is in my class and daily care, and I have grown and changed as a professional and mother because of this research involving her.  There many risks involving this type of growth and research.  Our relationship has been affected (I am her teacher and mother), there have been concerns of favoritism within the classroom, the children in the class react to her differently because she is my daughter, and so forth.  None of these risks were harmful, but I/my colleagues have learned so much throughout the process.   I truly feel that I am a stronger professional for having taken on the challenge of involving my own child in my research and academic growth.  


2 comments:

  1. Amy,

    Thank you for sharing your experience with your daughter. She has helped you both profressionally and personally and in a good way. I can understand that having her in your classroom would tend to make the other children feel that she is gaining favortism. That is how they would feel if you were a parent on a field trip as well. :)

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure that it must be difficult not to show favortism. On the other hand what a great way to grow pofessionally. I'm sure you have to be very careful ethically not to subject your daughter to bias situations.

    ReplyDelete