Saturday, November 12, 2011

Blog Assignment: Your Personal Research Journey

I have already taken significant first steps in my research simulation: I have reflected on general topics in early childhood, narrowed my focus and identified several subtopics, and decided which subtopic will be the focus of my simulations in the coming weeks...

This weeks blog assignment is to to tell your colleagues about your chosen topic for the simulation and why you chose it. 
  • The topic in within the early childhood profession n that I am passionate about is social and emotional development in the early years of life. When I think about this topic, I am intrigued on three subtopics under the social and emotional development umbrella. These subtopics include the effects of the child’s natural environment on behavior, the influence of teacher and child relationships on preschool children’s social-emotional development, and the effects of stress on young children in regards to emotional and social development. As early childhood educators and professionals, we are facilitating the development of competent and productive human beings in our society. I feel it is our responsibility to focus on than the social and emotional side of development and the impact of ecological psychology on children. Studies have shown that positive social and emotional in children leads to better academic success and lifelong growth and development.   


Share any insights you have gained so far from constructing the research chart, and from any other element of this course. 
  • I am excited to continue my research on social and emotional development and the chart has been beneficial to this process.  I have also benefited from investigating the credibility of electronic resources.
 A fantastic resource for educators on social and emotional development and behavior is from 
The Center on the Social and Emotional Foundations for Early Learning (CSEFEL).  This site is focused on promoting the social emotional development and school readiness of young children birth to age 5. CSEFEL is a national resource center funded by the Office of Head Start and Child Care Bureau for disseminating research and evidence-based practices to early childhood programs across the country.

http://csefel.vanderbilt.edu/

 

2 comments:

  1. Amy,

    Our topics of research are similar, in that we are both fascinated by the social and emotional development of young children and the impact it will have on their lives as they continue to grow.

    I have chosen to focus on the subtopic of the effects of traumatic experiences on social and emotional development. Which topic have you chosen?

    Thank you for the valuable resource!

    Raina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,
    I appreciate you sharing the site "The Center on the Social and Emotional Foundations for Early Learning (CSEFEL)". It's always awesome find new credible sites that will aid us in our research about Early Childhood! Thank you so much for sharing, I will add this to my list of research worthy sites!! :)

    ReplyDelete