Saturday, March 10, 2012

Week 2: Communication Skills: Language, Nonverbal, Listening

Blog Assignment:
For this assignment, again consider what you have been learning about communication skills and styles. Then record an episode of a television show you do not normally watch. Watch the show with the sound turned off.
  • What do you think the characters’ relationships are based on the ways in which they are communicating?
  • What are they feeling and expressing based on the nonverbal behavior you are observing? 







Now, watch the show with the sound turned on.
  • What assumptions did you make about the characters and plot based on the ways in which you interpreted the communication you observed?
  • Would your assumptions have been more correct if you had been watching a show you know well? 
This was a very interesting and eye opening assignment.  I chose to explore "The Big Bang Theory" sitcom.  With the sound turned off, I would of never guessed the characters were friends and in a social circle.  Their facial expressions were extremely interesting and powerful without words.  Based on nonverbal behavior, I would assume the characters were in constant confusion or disagreement over something.  I noted body language of being uncomfortable, having mistrust, or dislike and the plot was difficult to decipher.  When I watched the episode again with the sound the plot was extremely clear and facial expressions/ nonverbal cues seemed to match the verbal communication and exchanges.  If I had been watching a show I knew well, I would have been able to more clearly decipher the communication without verbal cues. 

2 comments:

  1. Amy,

    Interestingly, I also watched "The Big Bang Theory". My reaction was a little different than yours in that I could figure out that the men were good friends but, like you, I had no real idea of the plot until I watched it with volume.

    Definitely an interesting experience!

    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not familiar with this show. However you drew the same conclusion I did in regards to how powerful nonverbal clues are. This experience really focused on how important it is to make sure you pay attention to what is being said and the body language. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete