Thursday, March 1, 2012

EDUC-6165-7 Communicating and Collaborating in the Early Childhood Field


Blog Assignment #1 






This week, think of someone (e.g., family member, celebrity, politician, friend, or professor) who demonstrates competent communication within a particular context....


What behaviors does this person exhibit that make him or her effective? 

For this reflection, I chose my direct supervisor and colleague with whom I have a proud affiliation.  She is also a valued mentor on managerial techniques as well as communication techniques.   Her style is consultative, which is very different from my own.  I appreciate how she utilizes this style in communication with her staff in all her communication interactions.  She is an active listener who validates all participants with affirmation, respect, and appreciation.  She is purposeful in speaking and respectful in her nonverbal communication.  I enjoy communicating and collaborating with her.  Because our styles are so extremely different (I am competitive, controlling and aggressive), I am learning how to appreciate being more sensitive, open and understanding in communication exchanges.  

Would you want to model some of your own communication behaviors after this person?

I am currently working on adapting my communication behaviors to reflect this style.  I have found (through experiences and observation) that it is effective when working with colleagues.  The objective of communication is to produce a positive result and attain goal achievement.  

For a quick and gentle reminder on effective communication skills recommended in the workplace, I have used:

http://workawesome.com/communication/effective-communication-skills/ 

 

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your supervisor sounds like an awesome role model in the competent communication field. I am working on patients and nonverbal communication. Personally right now for me it is sound ridiculous I will wear it on my face and that it is not professional. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to hearing more from you.

      Delete
  2. Amy,

    Thank you for sharing a valuable resource with us! The respect you have for your supervisor is evident. It sounds as if she is a great role model and mentor, you are lucky to have her!

    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Amy,

    It sounds like you are really reflecting on your communication style and making changes as you see fit. Your supervisor sound like an excellent person!

    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy,
    It sounds like your supervisor is the type of communicator that we all strive to be like. You are lucky to have such a positive influence in your professional life.

    ReplyDelete