Sunday, March 18, 2012

Week 3 Blog Assignment


Think about the cultural diversity you see in your colleagues at school, in your neighborhood, in your workplace, and also, possibly, within your family. Consider all the aspects that make up culture, including race, religion, political affiliation, sexual orientation, varying abilities, and so on.
  • Do you find yourself communicating differently with people from different groups and cultures?
  • If yes, in what ways do you communicate differently?
Based on what you have learned this week, share at least three strategies you could use to help you communicate more effectively with the people or groups you have identified. 

-Communication always varies from context to context depending on formality and factors of culture, race, religion... I do communicate differently in each scenario and situation.  This week has helped me tremendously in my personal life.  I am using the tools an concepts I have learned about to evaluate how (and why) I communicate the way I do.  At work, where I am more formal, I am beginning to be more open to colleagues cultures and experiences and how they CONTRIBUTE to the conversation, not inhibit it.  I am practicing the concept of empathy and platinum rule while working with children and families from different cultures from my own.  At home, I am using skills of observing non-verbal cues while my family communicates, and then I am helping others see a more effective approach to this communication. 

Below is a link to an article describing the "Double Platinum Rule"- this article is based on customer service, but can easily be applied to the early childhood education field.  it basically states that "Treat others the way they don't even know they want to be treated." but ALSO anticipate, anticipate, anticipate. Don't just meet your people's needs and expectations, EXCEED them.  
Grounding our thinking in the these rules works well, because it heightens your empathy (Golden Rule); encourages a keen focus on others' expectations (Platinum Rule); and challenges us to consistently think of ways to exceed those expectations (Double Platinum Rule). 

http://www.naylornetwork.com/ahh-nwl/articles/?aid=63803&projid=3808

2 comments:

  1. Amy,

    Thank you for an insightful post! I think one of the best outcomes of all of our classes is that we can immediately apply what we learn. Information from this class is also helping me to be more aware and responsive in my interactions.

    Thank you for sharing the article, it's a great resource.

    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you used the word contribute. It is such an important word, everyone has something to contribute. I also more aware of my interactions with both parents and colleagues. I am really trying to be a better listener.

    Abby

    ReplyDelete