Thursday, March 10, 2011

Center on the Social and Emotional Foundations for Early Learning (CSEFEL)

In my previous Blog, I mentioned CSEFEL and included a link to some information.  Several people have commented on this so I decided to include more information. 

Social & emotional development in young children is a passion of mine.  In my classroom I have used the CSEFEL pyramid and model as a guideline for how I teach social and emotional competency. 

The Center on the Social and Emotional Foundations for Early Learning (CSEFEL) is focused on promoting the social emotional development and school readiness of young children birth to age five. CSEFEL is a national resource center funded by the Office of Head Start and Child Care Bureau for disseminating research and evidence-based practices to early childhood programs across the country.  http://csefel.vanderbilt.edu/  

This is a link for an informative video on social and emotional competence:
 
http://csefel.vanderbilt.edu/resources/social_emotional_competence.html

I am successfully using the strategies provided in the CSEFEL model after I completed a one day training and visit to a local CSEFEL model classroom.  These strategies include calming down techniques, dealing with  difficult behaviors, teaching emotion recognition and management, valuing the importance of child initiated social problem solving and creating appropriate behavioral support plans.  I recommend checking out this site for any early childhood educator!  It has tools fro educators, parents, trainers, and policy makers. 

My favorite concept is that of a "Super Friend".  Children who exhibit the ability to effectively problem solve, help others without prompting, and are productive members of our classroom family are "Super Friends".
Visit: http://csefel.vanderbilt.edu/resources/strategies.html  to view this concept and many others!

I wish all adults could be "Super Friends", what a wonderful world it would truly be.

2 comments:

  1. I would like to learn more about the calming techniques and teaching emotion recognition to children. It seems like many days I am constantly putting out "social fires" and not able to do much academically. There is a lot of value in teaching appropriate social skills however, as I am sure you know. Do head start teachers have this training and implement it in the classroom? I was in a head start classroom and they surely could have used it. It was actually not a great teacher and/or program at the Center I am referring too.

    Your blog is great, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for website link. I will check that out. I forgot to mention that.

    ReplyDelete