Monday, March 14, 2011

Personal Childhood Web

This entry assignment is dedicated to 
the special people in my life who have 
nurtured and cared for me as a child.



My Mother, Cindy- An amazing role model as a woman, wife and now in her later years, a care-giver to my father who recently had a brain tumor removed which left him paralyzed on his right side of his body.  Over the years, our relationship was up and down, but I have gained a tremendous respect for her endless commitment to our family.  When I was a young child, I can remember feelings of security, love and a sense that I was special.  My mother went out of her way to make sure I had all the essentials in life, then she provided me with warmth, friendship and the foundation to be the woman, wife, mother I am today.  She remains my best friend.



My Father, Al- He is, and continues to be an amazing source of strength and security.  Ad a child, he was the type of father who was not extremely loving, but was honest, fair and always available to help in any situation.  He was my problem solver, and I have grown up to be my families problem solver as well.
 
My Son, Adam- I had my son at age 19, so I feel that I was still a "child" when i had my first child.  He is perhaps the most influential person in my life.  He has made me the mother I am today.  I went to the hospital a self-centered teenage and left as a woman willing to devote my entire existence to a 5lb 4 oz boy.  Our journey has been extraordinary, and to him I owe my sense of pride as a mother.
 
My High School English Teacher, Ms. Watkins- She encouraged and nurtured me to find my inner passion for the love of English literature.  When my grades began to slip, she took our student/teacher relationship further and came to my home and made contact with my family, tutored me after school and weekends, and encouraged me to join a local "Big Sister" (mentoring program) chapter in our community.  She made a huge impact on my high school career, and was a immense help in my beginnings of my college education career.  She was a leader, mentor, adviser, and role-model.

My childhood best-friend, Carrie- She was the same age as I was, but in terms of caring for and nurturing someone, she was my support and overall happiness.  When I needed someone to listen, offer advice, hold my hand, or push me-she was the person.  Even though she was not wise in years, she supported me in so many ways, I am the woman today because of her and my mother.  I could do no wrong, and when I did, she helped me.  When I think back on our friendship, past and present, I smile deep within my heart.


Next post this week- How these people have influenced my life and their continual impact on who I am.

5 comments:

  1. Amy,

    Thank you for sharing. I believe learning about the people in our lives will help us get to know each other and understand who we are as people.

    My Expository Writing teacher in high school had a great impact on me as well. She strengthened my belief in my writing talents and inspired me to keep growing.

    I am also interested in learning more about each of our experiences within our macrosystems. Can you share a little about your customs, culture, and values?

    P.S. I send good thoughts for your father's health. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a freind like that also. We would spend hours together and ride bikes, play barbies, and just spend so much time playing. I don't see kids having those kind of relationships these days and I think it is sad. They play games and watch tv but don't do the imaginary outside, play for no reason stuff anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy. I love your blog! I had a hard time downloading photos to mine so I had to settle with a clip art image! Are you and your childhood friend Carrie still friends? I have a friend that I have hung out with since 5th grade. We still talk even though she travels in an RV with her husband and 2 children year round.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy,
    My High school coach was the same kind of mentor as your English teacher. I think about how serious they took their jobs and gave that extra so we could see beyond the immediate. I didn't realize the blessing he was until I was well into adulthood how about you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    My mother suffered from a brain tumor as well but it ultimately took her life. So I know what that is like to go through. Even though I was 17 at the time. I agree that our children help make us into the people we are because my daughters influence me to be the best parent I can be and they have open my eyes up to so much. I love your childhood web!

    ReplyDelete