Sunday, March 6, 2011

Personal & Professional Passion: Early Literacy

  • My professional passions in Early Childhood studies include social/emotional development and early literacy development.  When we were asked to list and describe our favorite children's book, I became excited with the opportunity to combine my passions.  I love the books: Glad Monster Sad Monster and Go Away Big Green Monster By Ed Emberley & Anne Miranda.  These books support social emotional development in so many ways through teaching emotion recognition, management and confidence in dealing with difficult emotions.  I have used them as an educator, a mom, and as "therapy" for children coping with trauma.  
  • Try the website: http://csefel.vanderbilt.edu/booknook/glad/glad.pdf 


A sample of my daughter's work (she is three years old & in my pre-k class this year): Valentine's Day card for me from her.  It reads "I love you, Happy Valentine's Day" and includes a picture of us. So much love!
  My beautiful baby & me!


A quote that I love and live by is from B.F. Skinner:
"We shouldn't teach  great books; we should teach a love of reading."

Some great interactive websites to try in regards to early literacy for young children:
www.pbskids.org     
www.starfall.com  
www.storylineonline.net

It is difficult to pick a single story that has touched my heart as an early childhood educator.  One that will remain with me for my professional career involves a four year old girl.  This child came to us from an under-shriveled household with little to no access to books or literacy materials.  After a few weeks in her new preschool, she turned to me and said "Ms. Amy, your school is so beautiful.  It has books, I like books.  My mom said that because I like books, she is going to take me to the library!"  This warmed my heart because during our parent orientation, the mother disclosed to me that she cannot read, and so to have the courage to take her child to the public library was so amazing.  Reach for the tissues!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, your blog is so awesome! I love all the information on yours. the flowers remind me of Horton hears a Who! I hope to work on my mine this weekend. Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,

    I am really enjoying your blog. Your daughter is definitely beautiful and I can see that you are a proud mother.

    I noticed that the website you provided for Sad Monster Glad Monster is part of CSEFEL. Have you been able to use any of their principles for social/emotional development in your classroom? I would be interested in hearing from someone who has had a chance to use it. I am just familiar with the surface concepts and would love to learn more.

    I was also very touched by the story you shared about the little girl, her mother, and the books. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy you rock! I will be checking into each website you have listed on your blog to get more knowledge to pass on to my grandbabies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the webiste! I def need to be working more on mine. Your quote and your little girl's drawing is very beautiful. The fact that we need to teach about the love of reading is soo soo true! i was very amazed to see that at your place of employment you are allowed to have your little girl in your class. How is that working for you?

    ReplyDelete